Skip to main content

Types of Financial Assistance





The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income students.  Generally, a Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid.



WV Higher Education Grant Program is a state grant for students who are West Virginia residents. Students apply by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 15. To receive the grant, full-time attendance is required. To maintain eligibility, successful completion of 24 hours within the fall and spring semesters combined and a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 is required.



HEAPS is Higher Education for Adult Part-time Students. Students must be enrolled 11 hours or fewer and maintain a 2.0 GPA to be eligible.   Please see the Office of Financial Assistance for availability.


Supplemental Education Opportunities Grant is a Federal Grant that is given on a first come first serve basis, according to the FAFSA.

**If you decide to withdraw from all of your classes, you may owe money back to the institution.



Southern Scholarship

The Southern Scholarship is renewable every year.  Students must maintain a 3.25 GPA.  




PROMISE scholarship is provided through the state of WV.  For a student to retain or have the PROMISE award renewed each year, the student must:

  • Be continuously enrolled as a full-time student.
  • Maintain a 2.75 grade point average on a 4.0 scale the first year and a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in subsequent years.
  • Complete and earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in each 12 month period.



For full-time employees, Southern offers a tuition waiver for the employee, employee spouse or employee dependents.  To request the tuition waiver, please click here for the form to complete and return to the Office of Financial Assistance.

**If you receive other scholarships, they will be added to your account by the Business Office.  Please call (304) 896-7351 or (304) 236-7614 for more information


Federal Work-study Program  

The Federal Work Study Program (FWSP) is a form of financial aid awarded to a student who has completed a FAFSA and has demonstrated a financial need. The student is given a job (usually on-campus) and is paid by the school.  For more information, please see the Office of Financial Assistance.



Student Loans – These awards DO have to be repaid. 

Federal Direct Student Loan


A federal student loan for which a borrower is not generally responsible for paying the interest while in school, which is a deferment period.  Six months after the last day of class students MUST start paying back this loan.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan

A federal student loan for which the borrower is fully responsible for paying the interest regardless of the loan status.  Six months after the last day of class students MUST start paying back this loan.

For both types of student loans, students must complete the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling located at  Upon completion, please send an email to stating that you have completed both requirements. For more information about student loans please click here.